Thursday, January 27, 2011

End of an Era

"It's not about the elegance, it's about the deliciousness." -- National Treasure Mark Bittman.

I am heart-broken, just heart-broken, to learn that my favorite New York Times column, National Treasure Mark Bittman's The Minimalist, is coming to an end this week.

He's been a guiding light for me in the kitchen over the years, and I think I have made more of his recipes than anyone else's.

He was the one who convinced me to up the vegetable-to-pasta ratio in my pastas, start using meat as an accent, rather than a center-piece, experiment with whole grains in all sorts of new and unexpected places, and to recognize that there is a perfectly balanced sweet spot in every meal where deliciousness, simplicity, and good health meet.

It appears that instead of the Minimalist column and video series, he'll be working on more food policy stuff. Hopefully I'll continue to get lots of good inspiration and information from him that way.

He's got a list of his twenty-five favorite recipes from all time in this week's Dining section. Here's my own little retrospective of some of my favorites, just off the top of my head:

Roast Ducketta (Duck breasts stuffed with parmesan, garlic, and fennel seeds, like Italian porchetta),

Braised turkey, which my brother-in-law and I made for Thanksgiving this past year--an astounding success,

Chicken Liver Pate,

Chickpea, Chorizo, and Spinach

...I will probably add to this list as I remember them.

Goodbye Minimalist! You'll be sorely missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment